Archive for August 2019

Saskatoon police responded to a report of an armed robbery that turned out to be fake but led to an arrest of a wanted man.

Shortly after 5:30 p.m. CT on Friday, an unknown person calling from a blocked telephone number reported an armed robbery at a restaurant in the 2400-block of 22nd Street West.

Police officials said the caller indicated he was in the “back of the store” and that there was a man with a shotgun in the kitchen area.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Woman stabbed in chest shows up at Saskatoon home: police

    The caller also provided a physical description of the suspect but hung up when the police operator asked for their name.

    READ MORE: Two men charged by Saskatoon police in Mac’s store armed robbery

    As the first officers arrived on scene, they observed a man running from the area that matched the description given by the caller.

    During a foot pursuit, the man ran out onto the street and into the side of a car travelling on 22nd Street. Despite denting the car, police said he got up and continued running before being arrested at gunpoint a short distance away.

    Investigators spoke with staff at all restaurants on the block but found no one who knew anything about the alleged robbery. No weapon was found by police.

    READ MORE: Saudi money stolen in Saskatoon home break-in

    However, it was discovered that the 17-year-old boy did have an outstanding warrant for his arrest for breaching a court order. He was checked over by MD Ambulance paramedics and taken to the police detention centre.

    Investigators are still trying to figure out who made the false report.

    Anyone with information is asked to contact Saskatoon police at 306-975-8300 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Montreal police Chief Philippe Pichet called an emergency meeting with senior officers Saturday morning, following calls for an administrative inquiry by Quebec’s Public Security Minister Martin Coiteux on Friday.

Pichet took to 桑拿会所 explaining the meeting was to take stock of the current situation and outline the next steps in the inquiry.

An investigation into the force was launched earlier this week after allegations of corruption, relating to the fabrication of evidence, were brought to light.

READ MORE: Montreal police accused of fabricating evidence, SQ investigating

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Quebec public security minister calls for administrative review, expands investigation into Montreal police

  • Montreal police accused of fabricating evidence, SQ investigating

  • Mixed reaction at Montreal City Hall over police spying scandal

  • Montreal police were issued warrant to listen to journalists’ calls: La Presse

  • 4 Montreal police officers arrested for perjury, obstruction of justice

  • Montreal police arrest fifth officer following internal investigation

    The Sûreté du Québec (SQ) was initially tasked with looking into the matter, but on Friday, Coiteux announced plans to expand the investigation after provincial police were made aware of several other cases of criminal activity within the force.

    The RCMP, as well as local forces from Longueuil, Quebec City and Gatineau will aid in the SQ’s ongoing investigation.

    READ MORE: Quebec public security minister calls for administrative review, expands investigation into Montreal police

    At a press conference Friday, Coiteux also announced a separate administrative probe will look specifically at how Montreal police handles internal investigations and how the force operates.

    WATCH: Bombshell corruption allegations against Montreal’s police force. Mike Armstrong reports.

Knights at Attack – 7:30 p.m. – Harry Lumley Community Centre – Owen Sound, ON

Broadcast: 7:00 p.m. – AM980 and 长沙桑拿按摩论坛player.am980长沙夜网

“I found out (I would be starting) three or four minutes before we went out for introductions.” – Knights’ goalie Tyler Johnson on his surprise start Friday against Windsor.

Where the teams sit

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • London Knights: Surprise starter comes through

  • A happy Family Day for the London Knights

  • Knights playoff tickets set to go on sale Feb. 25

    London and Owen Sound are in the thick of the hunt for the top spots in the Western Conference as the teams are separated by just four points, both have 39 wins and 11 games remaining.

    The Knights are coming off a 4-1 victory over the Windsor Spitfires which was supposed to mark the return of Tyler Parsons to the London net.  Minutes before the puck dropped, Parsons fell ill and was replaced by Tyler Johnson who went out and made 36 saves, 19 of them in the third period, to help London capture the win.

    The Knights have now reeled off three straight victories and thanks to an Erie loss in Guelph, sit four points back of the Otters for first place overall.

    Owen Sound owns the most remarkable run by any team during the 2016-17 season.  From December 5 to February 17 they lost just two games, both to London.  Their record over that span was 22-1-0- but they still sat in fourth place in the West.

    After beating the Knights 6-1 on February 17, the Attack dropped a 3-2 shootout loss to Oshawa on home ice and then a 5-3 decision in Mississauga on Family Day.  Owen Sound bounced back and beat the Kitchener Rangers 5-0, getting 21 saves from goaltender Michael McNiven, as he posted his sixth shutout of the season. (He is tied for the league lead with Michael DiPietro of Windsor).

    The season series so far

    It has been a true pot luck.  There has been a little bit of everything.  Heavy on shootouts and light on dull moments.

    The first two games, the teams played went all the way through 65 minutes without a winner. The Attack won both by scores of 2-1 and 3-2.

    The third meeting became one of the most memorable that the clubs have ever played.

    It happened in Owen Sound on a Saturday afternoon in late January.  The flu had rocked its way through the Knights’ dressing room, and coupled with injuries, London was missing eight regulars from their lineup.

    The Knights were coming off a loss less than 24 hours earlier and fell behind 5-1 early in the second period.  There was every reason to pack it in and wait for the final buzzer.  Instead, London head coach Dale Hunter made a goaltending change.  Jordan Kooy came into the net for the final 32 minutes as the Knights erased the deficit and pushed the game to yet another shootout on the back of a Mitchell Stephens hat trick.  Stephens had a chance to win the game in the shootout and made no mistake as London left Owen Sound with a 7-6 win.

    Since that day the teams have traded lopsided victories. London blanked the Attack 4-0 and then two weeks later, Owen Sound won 6-1.

    Add them up and the Attack have the edge in the season series by one win.

    The match up

    The Knights are coming off a big win over the Spitfires that saw them sacrifice to block shots and bare down to bury their chances.  They will have to be wary of any kind of letdown heading into the Harry Lumley Bayshore Arena.

    London entered the game against Windsor trying to fend off a team that was within three points of them in the standings.  The Attack are just four points back.

    As much as teams will say they aren’t concerned who they have to play in the first round of the playoffs, staying out of the 4-5 matchup is a good idea.  That will mean finishing in first or second place in the Midwest Division.

    Owen Sound has preached consistency all season and found it in early December.  Their first real sustained hiccup since then came last week when they went back-to-back games without picking up a win.

    They will be out to prove to themselves that they are still in a groove as they hit the final 10 games on their schedule.

    One More Story

    Some people like surprises.  Johnson seems to be one of them.

    He says he found out that he would replace Parsons in goal three or four minutes before the London Knights were introduced before their game against Windsor.

    “I had left my blocker and my helmet in the bench (where the back-up goalie sits),” Johnson recalled.  “I skated out with a hat and my glove on as they called Parsons’ name.  It was kind of interesting.  I really didn’t have a lot of time to prepare, which can be good because you can’t overthink it.”

    Johnson played outstanding in the Knight net and London got a very important 4-1 win.

The New York Times is fighting back against accusations of “fake news” and dishonesty with a new TV advertisement.

It’s the first time the NYT has issued a TV spot in seven years, and it was released the week U.S. President Donald Trump barred the paper, along with a couple of other media organizations from a press briefing.

ChangSha Night Net

READ MORE: Some media blocked from White House briefing after Donald Trump attacks ‘fake news’ during CPAC speech

The commercial, called “The Truth is Hard,” will air during Sunday’s Academy Awards.

The 30-second ad includes audio from voices in the vein of news clips, talking about certain “truths,” from “the truth is our nation is more divided than ever” to “the truth is the media is dishonest.”

The clip, also posted on the Times‘ official YouTube page, has more than 1.5 million views since it premiered Thursday.

New York Times executive David Rubin reportedly said the ad is targeting the “national dialogue going on right now about facts and the truth.”

READ MORE: Analysis: Donald Trump’s phoney war on ‘fake news’

WATCH: Around a thousand people rallied in Beverley Hills outside the headquarters of Hollywood power broker United Talent Agency. They rallied against President Trump’s proposed travel restrictions on seven muslim-majority countries.

“What does that mean in a world of ‘fake news’?” he said, according to CNN.  “And what is the role of journalism and journalists in that process and what is the role of reader in supporting that journalism?”

“Specifically, the research found that some people do not realize all that goes into having reporters out in the field, in hard-to-reach places, covering complex topics,” the paper said in a release.

The going rate for a 30-second spot during the Oscars can reach as high as US$2.5 million.

Press Secretary Sean Spicer said earlier this week that he didn’t think Trump would watch the Oscars on Sunday.

“Hollywood is known for being rather far to the left in its opinions. I have to be honest with you. I think the president will be hosting the Governors Ball that night,” Spicer said

Despite not planning on watching, Trump responded to the ad, in true Trump fashion Sunday morning.

On Friday, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences announced that Meryl Streep will be a presenter during the live show. Streep criticized the president during her speech at last month’s Golden Globes, especially Trump’s apparent mocking of a disabled Times reporter.

Trump quickly fought back on 桑拿会所, calling the actress “overrated.”

READ MORE: Donald Trump responds to ‘overrated’ Meryl Streep’s Golden Globes speech

The 89th Academy Awards will air at 8:30 p.m. ET.

*with files from The Associated Press

The Kuwaiti government could pay up to $60,000 to President Donald Trump‘s hotel in Washington for a party on Saturday that will be an early test of Trump‘s promise to turn over profits from such events to the U.S. Treasury.

ChangSha Night Net

The Kuwait Embassy is hosting an event to mark their National Day. Similar National Day celebrations at the Trump International Hotel for a crowd of several hundred can run from $40,000 to $60,000, according to cost estimates from the hotel seen by Reuters. The hotel declined to comment on the figures.

One of Trump‘s lawyers, Sheri Dillon, pledged at a Jan. 11 press conference to donate any Trump Hotel profits from foreign governments to the U.S. Treasury.

The White House and Alan Garten, the general counsel for the Trump Organization, did not return calls for comment on whether any profits from foreign government payments to the hotel have been donated. Dillon’s firm declined to comment.

READ MORE: Donald Trump must sell DC hotel before taking office, lawyers say

Kuwaiti Ambassador Salem al-Sabah told Reuters he was paying the Trump Hotel an amount similar to what he had paid the Four Seasons hotel to host a previous National Day event. He said he expected the event to draw 500 or 600 people, but declined to disclose specific cost details.

The Four Seasons, which declined to comment, also charges prices in the $40,000 to $60,000 range for such events, according to cost estimates seen by Reuters.

A watchdog group led by former ethics lawyers for the Obama and George W. Bush administrations sued Trump in federal court in January, accusing him of violating the Constitution by allowing foreign government payments to businesses he owns.

WATCH: Trump Hotel opening in Washington, DC upstaged by protesters

Some ethics lawyers say even if Trump turns over all of the profits from the Kuwait National Day party, he would still be in violation of the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits government officials from accepting “any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

They say all of the income from the event, not just profits, would need to be donated to the U.S. Treasury to avoid contravening the constitutional ban.

Trump resigned in February as an officer of Trump Old Post Office LLC, the company that operates the hotel, but Richard Painter, Bush’s chief ethics lawyer, said theresignation made no difference as long as Trump retained an interest in it.

The ethics experts say Trump is still technically a recipient of payments to his hotels because he still has an ownership interest in them.

Dillon, Trump‘s lawyer, argued at the Jan. 11 press conference that payments to Trump‘s hotels do not violate the Constitution because “paying for a hotel room is not a gift or a present and it has nothing to do with an office.”

READ MORE: LeBron James explains refusal to stay with teammates at Trump Hotel

She also said that a separate law banning federal employees from engaging in matters affecting their financial interests does not apply to the president. The head of the U.S. Office of Government Ethics agreed in public remarks in January but said it was “consistent policy of the executive branch” for the president to nevertheless avoid financial conflicts of interest.

The office declined to comment when asked by Reuters whether Trump would be contravening the Constitution if he did not turn over all hotel income from foreign governments.

Four Democratic U.S. lawmakers asked the Government Accountability Office on Feb. 16 to assess whether Trump had made any payments to the Treasury resulting from profits at his hotels. GAO spokesman Chuck Young said the request was still being reviewed and the agency had not yet decided what to do about it.

When the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee was asked on Feb. 23 whether it would be tracking payments from foreign governments to Trump Hotels, and from the hotels to the U.S. Treasury, a spokeswoman for the committee declined to comment.